Monday, September 15, 2008

Big Bang: End of the World or the Start of a New One?


News reports about the attempts to recreate the 'Big Bang' has gotten everyone into a tizzy lately, with many naysayers warning against an imminent apocalypse. The scientists at the European Centre for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva are using a huge particle-smashing machine known as the Large hadron Collider (LHC) to simulate the conditions preceding the Big Bang, in an attempt to get to the bottom of the Universe's biggest secrets and questions regarding its origins. Despite assurances of safety from the scientists, the posssibility of another Big Bang created a great deal of apprehension, to the extent that a 16-year-old girl far away in Indore killed herself apparently out of fear for the End of the World (although given the crass sensationalism of the contemporary Aaj-Tak brand of television news reporting, I wouldn't be that surprised if she did truly believe such a thing).

But why is everyone talking about only the End of the World? If the original Big Bang did create our Universe as we know it, and if this simulated Big Bang does actually succeed in the same proportions, is it not equally possible that an entirely new universe with different organisms can be created? What intrigues me most of all is Man's attempts, time and again, to play God. I am extremely curious to see what outcome this experiment will have, as it will definitely bring in a new argumentative angle to the entire debate on God. For staunch believers like me whose most fundamental argument for the existence of God is the complexity of the Universe, this will be something I have to factor in. If the human being does succeed in recreating the Big Bang thus answering the greatest Secret of the Universe, it will be another weapon in the next argument for any atheist. I can already hear it.. ''See? Its all Science? No God here.'' What my answer will be then, I still dont know. But as said earlier, I am very intrigued to see just how far man can go. Lets just hope we dont have to pay a price for meddling with Nature.

No comments: