Puneites have a penchant for being in a hurry. Now I know that sounds odd for a city traditionally known to be rather on the sleepy side, where you can still find shops that remain closed between 1 and 4 pm for their ‘little’ afternoon siesta. But take a ride out on the roads at any time of the day, and you will see what I mean.
Be it a cricket match, the evening cuppa at the roadside tapri, or, ok fine, some really pressing emergency at office or elsewhere. Whatever the task, nothing could be more important than getting there, and getting there fast. And to do that, one has to be willing to sacrifice a few things. Like traffic norms and civic responsibility for example.
So, with tactics ranging from the inane to the insane, we Puneites have innovative ways of overcoming all odds - whipping past those road ornaments more commonly known as red lights and traffic policemen, crashing over imaginary thresholds called road dividers, and HONKING. Oh yes, blowing one’s horn is a favourite activity in Pune. After all, we Punekars believe that miracles can happen. So if you blow your horn, putting all your heart and soul in it, maybe, just maybe - it could make the red light turn green, or even help you part the sea like Moses in a traffic jam!
To sum it up, we Puneites are Very Important People. So when it comes to getting to our destination, don’t bother throwing any rules at us. As is aptly worded on a true blue Puneite’s motorbike bumper: ‘No Rulls’!!!
So… helmets or seatbelts? Nah, too restrictive. Slow down to let the old lady cross the road, or stop at a red light? A criminal waste of time! And don’t even think about asking us not to talk on our cell phones while we ride, ‘coz some conversations just can’t wait.
Of course, at least three people get killed in road accidents every day… but surely the government is to blame for that!
1 comment:
These days I think twice before I stop at the red light...I am scared that if I stop, someone would just knock me off from behind :)
Post a Comment